Wednesday, July 15, 2009

"Plenty of stationery"

Pip and Herbert prepare to take stock of their debts:

We ordered something rather special for dinner, with a bottle of something similarly out of the common way, in order that our minds might be fortified for the occasion, and we might come well up to the mark. Dinner over, we produced a bundle of pens, a copious supply of ink, and a goodly show of writing and blotting paper. For, there was something very comfortable in having plenty of stationery.

Charles Dickens, Great Expectations (1861)

comments: 2

JuliaR said...

I have stationery from when I was in public school! I lurves stationery and hardly ever use it these days. I finally put a new ink cartridge in my old (cheap yet reliable) Scheaffer and wrote a letter a couple of weeks ago but now the ink will just shrivel up if I don't keep going.

Michael Leddy said...

You better keep going. : )