Thursday, May 28, 2009

My Dinner with André: Criterion DVD

"I think if you could become fully aware of what existed in the cigar store next door to this restaurant, I think it would just blow your brains out."
At last: My Dinner with André (dir. Louis Malle, 1981) will be released on June 23 in a Criterion Collection edition. I've been waiting for this one for years.

comments: 6

Tom the Piper's Son said...

I'm awaiting a sale on the "My Dinner With Andre Action Figures" ala Waiting for Guffman's Corky St.Clare!

("My Dinner..." is one of my favorites too)

Michael Leddy said...

Waiting for Guffman is another one of mine. "Everybody dance!"

Geo-B said...

I would never give up my electric blanket, Andre.

Michael Leddy said...

But Wally, don't you see that comfort can be dangerous?

Matt Thomas said...

Having watched this twice now, I gotta say, the electric blanket back and forth may be my favorite part of the whole movie, not only because it's funny and thought-provoking and still relevant, but because it's one of the few times when Wally and Andre engage in genuine dialogue. Also interesting: Andre's comments about new orders of monks preserving culture prefigure Morris Berman's Twilight of American Culture, a book I can't say enough good things about.

Michael Leddy said...

Same here re: Berman.

When I've shown the film to students, the blanket debate always prompts some discussion about iPods.