Friday, March 28, 2008

Xenía in the Bronx

New York social worker Julio Diaz turned a mugging into an opportunity for what the ancient Greeks called ξενία (xenía), hospitality:

As the teen began to walk away, Diaz told him, "Hey, wait a minute. You forgot something. If you're going to be robbing people for the rest of the night, you might as well take my coat to keep you warm."

The would-be robber looked at his would-be victim, "like what's going on here?" Diaz says. "He asked me, 'Why are you doing this?'"

Diaz replied: "If you're willing to risk your freedom for a few dollars, then I guess you must really need the money. I mean, all I wanted to do was get dinner and if you really want to join me . . . hey, you're more than welcome."
Read the rest: A Victim Treats His Mugger Right (NPR, via Boing Boing)

Related post
Xenía in D.C.

comments: 1

Anonymous said...

That's amazing story, and a quite literal enactment of the following --

"And unto him that smiteth thee on the one cheek offer also the other; and him that taketh away thy cloak forbid not to take thy coat also."
-- Luke, 6:29.

Would that we all had such courage.