Monday, August 13, 2007

Mister Rogers and self-esteem

Family Communications, the organization that brings us Mister Rogers' Neighborhood, has a succinct and convincing reply to the assertion in a recent Wall Street Journal article that Fred Rogers is to blame for runaway self-esteem among young adults.

It's All Mister Rogers' Fault? (Family Communications)

Related post
Blaming Mister Rogers

comments: 2

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this defense of Mr. Rogers. While I agree with the premise of "too much empty praise," I was shocked to see Mr. Rogers being given as an example.

(My son and I have a private joke after soccer or baseball games where I mimic the encouraging yells from the parents on the sidelines by saying, "Way to breathe air, Preston!! Good job allowing cellular replication, Harrison!!" It's really almost that bad. But I see no connection with Mr. Rogers!)

Michael Leddy said...

It's nice to hear from (another!) sane parent. : )